Friday, October 1, 2010

Western Gun Belt

Sometimes we are able to go back to the days of our youth and relive the memories that were so good for us. My leather work lets me go back and enjoy the old westerns that I grew up with, and enjoy the happy times.
Recently a good friend of mine asked me to make a western cartridge belt for his SASS (Single Action Shooting Society) competition. My mind went back to Paladin, Maverick, Marshall Dillan, and the whole Cartwright family with their low slung gun fighter type belts.
My fond childhood memories were quickly smashed when Jerry told me that the belt had to totally be authentic, and the gun fighter rigs were invented by Hollywood after the turn of the 20th century. After I pulled myself together from my disappointment ,I got busy and researched the exact belt for the era. The bullet loops are even to proper specification. According to the research, the bullet loops are woven in and out through a series of cut slots and not sewn on the top. Well , enough about the boring history lesson, here are the pictures of the finished product. There was a problem, I had to also make a matching hat band and matching knife sheath,I just can't stop myself sometimes.

No comments: